- File access & sharing
- Security & control
- Mobile & desktop clients
- External storage
- Calendar & Contacts
- Secure audio & video calls
- Collabora Online Office
- 1 TB USB3 hard drive (WDLabs)
- Nextcloud case for IoT board and hard drive
- microUSB charger, cables and adapters
- microSD card with Snappy Ubuntu Core (for OS)
- Pre-installed Apache, MySQL and Nextcloud
- NOT included in box – compatible IoT board:
- RPi 2 supported currently
- RPi 3 support planned
- oDroid support planned
- The chassis has the hard disk fastened with four screws
- The RPi (presently limited to Model 2) is fastened adjacent to the hard disk with four supplied screws
- The custom cable with three leads is connected to the hard disk
- The microUSB male end of the custom cable is connected to the RPi power socked (female microUSB)
- The male USB end of the custom cable is connected to an open USB port on the RPi
- The PWR lead of the custom cable is connected to male microUSB of the power cable
- The male USB end of the power connector is connected to power adapter which in turn is connected to a stable power supply
- Use a suitable HDMI cable to connect the RPi video output to a display monitor
- Use an Ethernet cable or a Wi-Fi adapter to connect the RPi to an existing network
- Use an USB adapter to connect a keyboard to the RPi
The document illustrates the arrangement for the RPi version of the Nextcloud server.
There are two ways to access the server for the update steps:
- Attach a keyboard/mouse pair using the available USB ports and also plug a display monitor using the HDMI cable
- Connect using the PuTTY application
The default hostname of the server is ubuntu-standard. The PuTTY application requires the IP address of the Nextcloud server. The arp command from another computer can assist in the determination of the IP address. The MAC address for all RPi 2 models have the hexadecimal prefix “B8:27.”
The default access credentials are ubuntu and ubuntu. The password should be changed as soon as practical using the passwd command.
Assuming that the login is successful, enter the following steps for the recommended software upgrade:
sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo snap refresh ubuntu-core
sudo snap refresh
Enter the letter “y” when prompted during these operations.
- Launch a browser from a client machine and enter the IP address of the RPi Nextcloud server. You can use the hostname (or fully qualified domain name if your network subnet registers IP addresses using DNS). The server will proceed to finish the setup by requesting data to create an admin account.
- On the Create an admin account form, enter your preferred username for the admin account and the corresponding password. The system does check for the strength of the password. You may want to observe the guidance but as usual please remember to save the credentials securely.
- Click the Finish setup button. The successful completion of the operation will result in the display of an updated page shown below:
- On the page entitled “a safe home for all your data,” click the Desktop app button.
- On the Get Started page under the Sync your data section, click Desktop clients button.
- Click the Save button to download the file to the default location in the Downloads folder
- Click the Run button to install the desktop client application
- After confirming that you wish to install the desktop client, on the Welcome … Wizard window, click the Next button
- On the Choose Components window, select (i.e. check) all the options and click the Next button:
- On the Choose Install Location window, update the Destination Folder if necessary and click the Install button
- Assuming that the installation proceeds without hiccups, on the Installation Complete window, click the Next button
- On the Completing … Wizard window, click the Finish button.
- On the Connect to Nextcloud window, in the Server Address text box, enter the IP address of the server (if you are not relying on DNS)
- Enter the credentials for the connection and click the Next button
- Connect your Local Folder for synchronization with the server
- Click the Connect button
- Click the Finish button
The desktop will display a shortcut for routine use of the application.